Tuesday, December 25, 2007

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

My first stop in Nicaragua was the quaint town, San Juan del Sur. I met up with an Israeli girl and an American girl at the border and we shared a taxi to the surfing village. From the first instance I got into the taxi I knew Nicaragua was going to be an adventure unlike Costa Rica. Our taxi driver was a middle aged man who spoke no English and had a friend sitting shotgun drinking cans of Tona (local beer) like water. After about 40 minutes of bumpy roads, I safely arrived at my hostel called Casa Oro (House of Gold). Casa Oro was filled with backpackers and professional surfers hoping to catch some of the best Nicaraguan surf breaks. Over the next three days I took the local bus to the nearby beaches and attempted to surf. There were two beaches next to each other separated by rocks which were easy to walk over. The tranquil beach setting was a perfect introduction to the country.

On the first day at the beach my friend Becky from North Carolina and I were swimming in the massive waves and we both got stung by jellyfish. I got it pretty bad, resulting in countless red lesion looking like blisters on my right arm and leg. I thought about peeing on myself but latter thought better. Becky´s situation was quite comical. She got stung near her ¨lower region¨ and proceeded to quickly remove my bottoms holding them in the air and screaming ¨help me! help me!¨. Any onlookers would have either been terribly confused or possibly eager to help. To this day I still have remnants of the vicious creatures.

Other interesting things that San Juan del Sur offered during the hoilday season was a full marching band comprised of mostly small children that would parade throughout the small town blasting drums and blaring an asortment of horns between the hours of 3 and 4 in the morning. On the second straight night of this we realized this ritual happens every year 8 days prior to Christmas. I´m not sure why they choose to do this during prime sleeping hours, but I can tell you it was not appreciated by my fellow travelers. On the third straight night of this craziness we decide...hey if they are going to continue to do this we might as well join them. So when we heard the music rolling by we filed right in and we received a warm welcome. It was an interesting and bizarre experience that ended at the local church. After that fulfilling experience I decided I have had my fill of the town and gathered up some friends and decided to take the bus to Granada the next morning. The entourage included a South African Gavin a Brit Renee and two girls Becky and Windrose from North Carolina. Times in Granada looked promising.

No comments: