Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Costa Rica

Recently I haven’t been very good at updating my blog, but hopefully I will be better in the future. My days have been busy hiking and travelling from city to city via local bus which always proves to be an arduous but eventful necessity. Some roads in Costa Rica and most in Nicaragua more suitably resemble dirt roads or paths.

I breezed through Costa Rica in about 10 days and I’m now in Nicaragua which is much cheaper and cultural authenticity is more evident. Costa Rica was nice for a vacation but not my style of traveling. Costa Rica of course boosts prime wildlife and hikes through rainforests but also was tailored toward rich white Americas looking for a home away from home. Some brief highlights of my trip included the remote forests of Corovado in the Peninsula de Osa where I saw snakes, monkeys, and countless tropical birds such as parrots and toucans. I also did some sweet kayaking through dense mangroves where we spotted a huge rattlesnake and tons of howler monkeys. By the way if you have never heard a howler monkey before you would swear you were being attacked by an angry army of rebels.

After the national park I went to Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side which felt like Jamaica with all the Rastas and laidback vibes. Reggae music is king here and sitting in hammocks and smoking the local plant are the daily activities. Puerto Viejo is a small town or actually more like a village that has abundant nightlife and full of people who have seemed to forget about there past lives resulting in a strange mix of foreigners who has now call Puerto Viejo home and the many travelers who come to get the Caribbean feel.

After Puerto Viejo I made a quick stop in San Jose before meeting an old College friend in the touristy area of Nicoya at Flamingo Beach. This area resembled Cancun with all the hotels and white people struggling to say hola. Nevertheless staying there for a night was quite nice since I was staying in 4 star hotel and got a much needed recharge and hot shower before heading across the Nicaraguan Border the following day.

No comments: